Date:      Fri,  4 Aug 2000 10:53:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with a PW500au

John Baldwin writes:

 > >  > My second issue is that it seems to die during high load, i.e. when building
 > >  > world, or compiling X or Xemacs.  It will simply die and drop into SRM with
 > >  >
 > >  > kernel stack invalid halt
 > >  > PC = 0xffffXXXXXXXXXX
 > >  > XXXXX -- HWPRB invalid.
 > >  >
 > >  > It then has to be cold-booted to be usable again.
 > >
 > > Thats BAD.  Are you running the latest firmware (it also corrects some
 > > video problems.). see ftp://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/index.html
 >
 > Digital Personal WorkStation 500au
 > Console V7.2-1 Mar  6 2000 14:47:02
 > >>>

 > I already have the latest. :(  Is it possible I have bad hardware in this
 > box?
 >
 > > It might be helpful to know what version of FreeBSD you're running &
 > > what sort of hardware is connected.
 >
 > Pardon the spam:

Nothing unusal there.  It is an older miata with the pyxis bug, but
that's par for the course.

What sort of things are happening on the system other than the
compilation?  Is it running X?

This is what I might expect to see if the palcode area was randomly
scribbled over.  (hwrpb is at physical address 0x2000).

When it dumps like this, can you write down the PC and see what, if
anything, it maps to in the kernel text?  Also, can you get an ra out
of the SRM console at this stage, or is it totally wedged? (you should
be able to say something like ">>> e ra"

Drew