Date:      Sun, 19 Jan 1997 22:56:37 -0700
From:      Chris Olsen <colsen@compus.com>
To:        Frank ten Wolde <franky@pinewood.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP4020 Writable CD-ROM failures - help requested

Frank ten Wolde wrote:

> Hello J"org,
>
> On Jan 15,  0:46, J Wunsch wrote:
> > Subject: Re: HP4020 Writable CD-ROM failures - help requested
> >
> > As Frank ten Wolde wrote:
> >
> >>      # rtprio 5 team -v 1m 5 < cdrom.image | dd of=/dev/rworm0 obs=20k
> >>      ...kb read/...kb written
> >>      Error code is "current errors"
> >>      Segment number is 00
> >>      Sense key is "Unit attention"
> >>      The Information field is 80000000 (-2147483648).
> >>      The Command Specific Information field is 00000000 (0).
> >>      Additional sense code: 28
> >>      Additional sense code qualifier: 00
> >>      sense (32 of 48):
> >>      f0 00 06 80 00 00 00 0a 00 00 00 00 28 00 00 00
> >>      00 00 11 89 95 38 fe ff 00 00 00 00 80 1c 06 f1
> >>
> > That must be either one of the recent ahc driver problems (Justin is
> > aware of it, and we're waiting for his final actions -- that's the
> > main reason 2.2 didn't go out yet).  Or, are you pretty sure that your
> >
> I'm using the 2.2-960612-SNAPSHOT release of FreeBSD.  Is this considered
> 'recent'?
>
> > drive isn't overheating?  I've got a few reports by now that indicate
> > that the HP parts are fairly sensitive against this.  (The usual PC
> > power-supply fan is certainly insufficient.)
> >
> Maybe, but it happens every time again (I tried twice :-) and each time
> just before the end of data, possibly just before the 'fixate' command.
> (First time I wrote appr 300 MB, second time appr 610 MB. Both times
> dd reported that *all* bytes had been transferred to the CDR.)
> Could it be that you have to pause for a few seconds and let the CDR
> flush its buffers before issuing the 'fixate' command?
>
> Regards,
> -Frank
>
> --
> F.W. ten Wolde (PA3FMT)                       Pinewood Automation B.V.
> E-mail: franky@pinewood.nl                    Kluyverweg 2a
> Phone: +31-15 2682543                         2629 HT  Delft

Frank,
  I had the same problem with an HP drive.  We ended up getting a new
drive from HP and it worked just fine.  But I think what realy fixed
the problem was upgrading the rom ont the drive.  The ROM version is
displayed in the probe message.  I think the original version we
had was 1.25 and the new drive had 1.26.  The HP web page has the
new rom version & the program to download it.

Chris Olsen
colsen@compus.com