Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 16:02:01 -0600
From:      "Bert Hiddink" <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   More on audio with Maestro 2

Hello,

I am still struggling to get some sound out of my Toshiba lap with  a
ESS Technology Maestro-2E sound card with FBSD 4.1

I am trying to do this with ESS Maestro-1/2/2E driver for FreeBSD
from Taku YAMAMOTO <taku@cent.saitama-u.ac.jp>

However, I have some difficulties with the following in his README of
this driver :

#######
1. If your kernel source tree is:
   * 4.0-RELEASE, 4-STABLE older than May 12 2000
     or -current older than Mar 20 2000, apply mixer_reinit.patch.
   * -current newer than Aug 20 2000, apply fmtlist.patch.
   * -current newer than Sep 1 2000, apply mixer_current.patch
     (this file also contains diffs in fmtlist.patch).
#######

I have the FBSD 4.1. release, so I suppose I should "apply
mixer_reinit.patch". However, how do I "apply" patch? Should I add
the name of this file in the "SRCS" of the Makefile?

For the time being, I tried compiling without any patch which ran OK.

Later on in the README, he says to make some nodes for this device:

######
3. Create additional dsp channel by issueing:
	foreach i (0 1 2 3)
	mknod dspX.$i c 30 0x000$iXX03
	mknod audioX.$i c 30 0x000$iXX03
	chmod 666 dspX.$i
	end
   Note that XX is a hexadecimal number of X.
######

As my device is "pcm0" I issued the following lines from the shell:
	foreach i (0 1 2 3)
	mknod dsp0.$i c 30 00000$i0003
	mknod audio0.$i c 30 00000$i0003
	chmod 666 dsp0.$i
	end

However, it gives and error message after issueing 'end': "Undefined
variable i0003"? I do not see an error in the lines issued.

Could you please help me some further with (one of) these 2 problems?

Thanks!

-brt

   Bert Hiddink, FUNDACION GALILEO
   Correo electronico: hiddink@galileo.or.cr
   Sitio: http://www.galileo.or.cr
   Tel. (506) 280 8683, telefax. (506) 280 8847