Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 2008 10:31:01 +0200
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Tore Lund <toreld@netscape.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update upgrade problem

Tore Lund wrote:
> Manolis Kiagias wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have already upgraded a couple of machines from 7.0-RC1/2 to
>> 7.0-RELEASE using:
>>
>> freebsd-update -r 7.0-RELEASE upgrade
>>
>> However, on this one machine, I get this:
>>
>> freebsd-update: cannot open files/.gz: No such file or directory
>>

> I have no answer, but as step in hopefully the right direction, let me
> ask: does /var/db/freebsd-update/files exist when you get that message?
> Are there any files in it?
>
> I upgraded yesterday, and my ../files directory is full of *.gz files.

I can't really remember, but since I've deleted and recreated the entire
folder, it should have been recreated at first run as well.

I didn't really solve the freebsd-update problem, but I upgraded the
machine in the following way:
I did a binary upgrade from the CD, then csup'd the sources and
recompiled the kernel.
I guess if there continues to be a problem with freebsd-update, it may
exhibit itself during normal updates as well.