Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 09:55:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Francisco Reyes <reyes01@ibm.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Where are daemons started & books on system adminstration?

On Thu, 16 May 1996, Francisco Reyes wrote:

> When Freebsd boots I have noticed that it starts certain daemons. I don't

Everything begins with /etc/rc which is a shell script.  It pulls
in /etc/sysconfig which has a bunch of variables controlling what
daemons are started and how.  It also pulls in some other
/etc/rc.* scripts.

One of the daemons started is inted, which is a "super daemon"
whos purpose is to listen to a bunch of ports and start up
appropriate daemons when a contact is made.  You can disable most
services by simply commenting them out in /etc/inetd.conf and
restarting inetd by sending it a HUP signal, eg:

  jfieber:~ $ ps ax | grep inetd
    128  ??  Is     0:00.93 inetd
    479  p1  S+     0:00.07 grep inetd
  jfieber:~ $ kill -HUP 128
  jfieber:~ $

> I would also appreciate suggestions with Unix administration books.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/bibliography.html

And specifically,

     * Nemeth, Evi. Unix System Administration Handbook. 2nd ed.
       Prentice Hall, 1995.
       ISBN 0131510517

Also,

     * Garfinkel, Simson.  Practical Unix Security.  O'Reilly &
       Associates, Inc., 1991.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================