Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:16:01 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        audit@FreeBSD.ORG, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 05:16:46PM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> In message <20010618151831.J1713@ringworld.oblivion.bg>, Peter Pentchev
> writes:
> > On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:13:24PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > >
> > > Excuse me, but what's wrong with sysctl(8) editing kern.module_path?
> >
> > Well, as I noted at the start of the message, this is a scripts-friendly
> > utility - it allows adding/removing/inserting individual paths without
> > the need to parse the whole.
>
> But it could be a script friendly Perl script that calls sysctl.  Right?

Not really; not if it's in /sbin, not if it's used at startup time.
Perl might not be available early in the boot process.

Well, ok, so the modules path does not really need not be changed so early,
but why not give admins the chance to create bullet-shaped holes in their
lower appendages, if they should so desire..

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence contradicts itself - or rather - well, no, actually it doesn't!