Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:17:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        imb@scgt.oz.au, stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: -stable hangs at boot (fwd)

> > for byte count rollover, I don't know if it's a 32-bit or 64-bit quantity.
> > I would like to be able to leave a "cumulative" counter running...
> yes, I would really love to make them 64 instead of 32, but right now
> the structure is 64bytes, and I'd hate to increase it to 128 :-(

Ummm.  :-/  Some of us wouldn't mind  :-)  (but some would, I know).

> > > 	2. are you going to miss "bidir" much ?
> >
> > !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > Owwwww.  See below.  I use it a lot :-(
>
> I thought so, it's just that we need a lot of special code to do it,
> and I think it is kind of messy anyway...

It is.  But on the other hand, tracking two separate filters isn't always
optimum.

> > The problem is, I handle multiple CIDR blocks.  If I had a single CIDR
> > block, I could do
> CIDR ?   Uhm,  Canned Indian Doughnut Rolls ?  no, hmm, I guess,
> Contiguous Internet something ?

Classless Inter-Domain Routing.  Basically classed routing is obsolete, has
been for a while.  You get assigned BLOCKS of address space and rather than
having to route 8 class-C addresses separately, you route an entire group
of addresses with a single routing table entry.

For example, I "own" 206.55.64.0/20, which is composed of the sixteen
"Class C" networks 206.55.64.0-206.55.79.255.  However I also route some
other blocks, too.  This makes it a real pain to do conceptually simple
filters like "How much traffic is going over my T1?"

See http://www.rain.net/faq/cidr.faq.html.

> Check out the strawman I just emailed, and actually you can do that in
> the present code:
>
> 	ipfw add count from any to any in via 204.95.219.1
> 	ipfw add count from any to any out via 204.95.219.1
>
> :-)

!!!!!  :-)  I am very thrilled!

> > Is it possible to fill in the byte/packets dropped by a particular filter?
> > (the fields in ipfw -s -a -n l are always 0)
> It is :-)  I can see that I'm about two days ahead of you still :-)

I'm impressed  :-)

> > Last time I checked (2.0.5R), the "reject" keyword didn't produce a
> > ICMP HOST_UNREACHABLE.
> It only does in some cases, I'll have to check it out a bit.  It's a mine-
> field, so I'm very careful.

Yes, I can imagine  :-)  I just want my firewalls to do something mildly
more social - like return a HOST_UNREACHABLE  :-)  It's not necessary, but
it is cooler.

> Sounds like you should take a peek on the ipfw.8 manpage of -stable or
> -current, you may just like it :-)

Q: Are there any differences that would prevent me from taking it and
dropping it into a 2.0.5R or 2.1.0R based box (preferably with as little
effort as humanly possible)??

> > Obviously I know you can't possibly address all of the above, but these are
> try me :-)

Please forgive me for underestimating you  :-)

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968