Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 23:20:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Support for secure http protocols

> Using ssh doesn't avoid copyright issues, unless you are referring only to
> the protocol.
>
> Using ssh doesn't avoid export restrictions; just because it is available
> (or orginated)  around the world doesn't mean it can be exported from the
> US.

If it is readily available, why does it have to be exported?  Software
which is sold can be separated from encryption.  Overseas setup is a
secondary issue.  Clients can be designed to invoke ssh without actually
having to be bundled with ssh.

> Using ssh doesn't let you use any current browser without setup hassles.
> Any solution needs integration.

Point the browser to http://localhost:port to start out with, but this is
a setup hassle to start out with as you point out.  It would be nice to
have browsers which could point to an http_ssh://<remote_addr> or
ftp_ssh://<remote_addr>, though.  But then browser standards have been
ceded to Microsoft and Netscape, so such a thing could never or happen (or
could it?).

If one thinks of http as the greatest achievement of mankind and that no
other server protocols will come into existence, then I think that putting
alot of effort into https (or is it shttp?) makes sense.  But suppose one
wants to generate procedures for having automatic encryption of any non-IP
encoding protocol, then I think building ssh hooks into new applications
may actually make sense.

> Using ssh doesn't provide for client certificates.
>
> Using ssh doesn't provide any way for the web server to know about the
> state of the content.

Clearly ssh isn't a good idea for transaction oriented on-line exchanges
of money.  In terms of making information available, but not subject to
eavesdroping (anonymous ssh), or restricted to a specific group of people
(ssh with specific usernames), then I think ssh with port forwarding makes
sense. And especially if other protocols in addition to http are desired.

> Using ssh doesn't provide any way for the user to tell that their
> information is being encrypted from their web client.

That goes back to the browser integration issue discussed above.

> Using ssh is too heavyweight (ie. imposes a number of extra RTTs to a
> connection setup) for http.

Yes.  A there are constraints, and one would not want to use it in a high
traffic situation -- more computers would be needed and either round-robin
DNS or load-balancing NAT would be needed.

Still, I see ssh as the best way to start separating applications from
crypotography.

Charles Mott