Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 23:53:32 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>, nik@iii.co.uk, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [REVIEW] Changes to the DocProj web pages

On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 11:55:58PM -0500, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> Yes, and other things such as a farely interesting spelling of
> fairly.  "have got commit privs" should probably be just "have
> commit privs", and "Others haven't got ...": "Others don't
> have", etc.  I'm sure it's possible to find lots of those such
> things...  :-)

Painful as it is for an Aussie, I have to defend the Pommies English here :-)
It sounds much less stilted with "have got", to my ears.

> 1)  Are we going to start using contractions again?  In a similar
> vein, does "folks" translate well?  It sounds fine to me, but it
> could be a bit dialect-specific, maybe?  <shrug>

Sounds fine here. <shrug>

> 4)  So long as someone's willing to talk style, may I submit that
> series such as "apple, job, and day" use a comma before the
> "and".  This is probably not what many of the outmoded old-timers
> were taught back in the day, but it's like totally way sexier.

Call me an outmoded old-timer :-)

Basically I don't think these things matter a great deal either way.
National differences mean they'll sound better to some, worse to others,
whether they are changed or not. Only internal consistency is important.

As far as the content and structure, it looks great!

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more