Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 10:21:02 -0500
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
Cc:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/release/sysinstall config.c install.c

<<On Tue, 03 Dec 1996 13:04:29 +0800, Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com> said:

> I added RTF_STATIC to the default route that pppd installed, I was under
> the impression that routed was supposed to leave those alone?  Or does
> it only leave the RTF_STATIC routes alone that were there at startup
> and "fight" any new routing changes that it hears about from the routing
> socket?

Neither.  It will keep RTF_STATIC routes, but only so long as they are
not inconsistent with what it learns from the routing protocol.  (Or
so Vern once claimed to me.)  Apparently, if it learns nothing from
the routing protocol, it considers that to be an inconsistency.

You will notice, for example, that if you have a static default and
routed learns a default to that same remote gateway, then it will
leave it alone in circumstances where it would otherwise have deleted
it.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick