Date:      Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:22:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Keychain (shell script) does not want to play with /bin/sh

Jim Weeks <jim@jwweeks.com> wrote:
 > Ok, this is getting a little ridiculous.  One can argue that the new
 > /bin/sh does things correctly and the old version did not, but now we see
 > breakage in core components!

Then it's pretty clear that those broken core components
should be fixed.

 > /usr/libexec/locate.mklocatedb: 87: Syntax error: "||" unexpected

There's no doubt that there's a syntax error in that file
(a backslash is missing for line continuation).
I am _really_ suprised that nobody stumbled across that
error before.

 > At this point I'm not sure what the answer might be, wait untill things
 > break and then fix them?

Sure, what else could be done?  Well, you could grep all
scripts on the box for that particular kind of error, i.e.
"||" at the end of a line (modulo whitespace).

 > On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 weeguan@myrealbox.com wrote:
 > > KeyChain 1.9; http://www.gentoo.org/projects/keychain
 > >  Copyright 2001 Gentoo Technologies, Inc.; Distributed under the GPL
 > > /usr/local/bin/keychain: 244: Syntax error: "||" unexpected

Sounds like the same error.  Adding a backslash at the end
of that line after "||" will probably fix it, but I'm only
guessing because I haven't seen that script.

 >> Has anything changed in /bin/sh that causes it to choke on this shell
 >> script? I am a newbie to shell scripts.

Yes, our /bin/sh has been fixed.  ;-)

Regards
   Oliver