Date:      Tue, 19 Jan 1999 18:14:47 +0530
From:      "Milind Bajekal" <milind@rolta.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem getting login prompt

We are using a 386 system(8MB RAM) loaded with FreeBSD 2.0 (used as a
server), having a 16550A serial i/o card. The modem is connected to COM2.

The client is a Win95 system with 16540 serial i/o card. We use the Win95
system to dial in via modem to the FreeBSD system. The application is for
terminal emulation to login to the FreeBSD system.

We are using BOCA 33.6 external modem at both ends.

the ttys file is set to

tty01	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	      term  	on secure

and the gettytab is set to

2|std.9600|9600-baud:\
	:np:sp#9600:

This works fine and we get the login prompt.

But if we either increase or decrease the baud rate by changing the ttys
entry and gettytab entry, we get garbled characters instead of login prompt.

example for 4800 we changed ttys as

tty01	"/usr/libexec/getty std.4800"	      term  	on secure

and gettytab as

2|std.4800|4800-baud:\
	:np:sp#4800:

We tried replacing the 'term' entry in ttys file to 'ansi'. Also tried
'vt100'. However we still get garbled characters.

Kindly let us know what we need to do to correct this problem.

Thanks.

Milind Bajekal