Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 23:45:14 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Bryan Liesner <bleez@verizon.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic on boot (devfs_find)

On 14-Mar-2003 Bryan Liesner wrote:

> I made posts here recently describing some panics which are somehow
> related to disappearing/never created device nodes.  I am unable to
> produce a core dump at all, as it panics before / is mounted.
> The documented kern.dumpdev (unknown oid) doesn't exist and
> setting dumpdev=ad0s1b in loader.conf doesn't help either.
>
> I compiled the faulty kernel with ddb and found that the failure was
> in devfs_find().  I'm trying to gather more information.  Any tips on
> how to get a proper core dump would be appreciated.
>
> As described in my earlier posts, this started happening sometime
> shortly after commits done after 3/10/2003.
>
> Now, really, am I the only one experiencing this?

No, you're not.  I've been unable to get a bootable kernel running for the last
few days also.

Booting in verbose mode, I see the last thing that occurs just before the panic
is mounting root and then starting (or trying to start) /sbin/init.  After an
initial "hang", it drops into ddb.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> - "In Unix veritas"