Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 11:31:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        jorgy@refuge.Colorado.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   WD8013 configuration

> From: "Eric R. Jorgensen" <jorgy@refuge.Colorado.EDU>
> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 10:13:09 -0600
> Subject: installing 2.1.0-RELEASE with WD8013EPC ethernet card - again
>
> ed1: device timeout

The problem is that it's running in 8-bit mode and needs to be in 16-bit
mode.  It might also not be using the proper memory size.  When you boot
from floppy, type "-c" immediately at the boot prompt.  When it goes into
configure mode, type the following:

iosize ed1 16384
flags ed1 4

then do an "ls" and make sure the IRQ, memory and I/O addresses match; you
can change the configuration similarly, although they default to IRQ 5,
I/O 0x280 and Memory at 0xd8000.

The "flags" command is the critical one.  You'll have to do this every time
you boot from floppy, and the first time you boot from hard disk.  You should
build a new kernel with the proper configuration or the next time you build
one for another reason, it will get reset and you'll have forgotten why your
network stopped working.

--
Alan Batie                   ______      We're Starfleet officers:
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Weird is part of the job.

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.