Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 06:23:31 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Software for sheilas [was: BSD desktop]

On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:59:28AM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Narvi wrote:
>
> >       * *DECIDE* (and later keep to the decision) as to what exactly
> >         your target audience is
>
> My wife. My mom. My sister-in-law. :)

No go here. Those types of people, at least in my family, want to use
their computers to assist with a range of craft and homey activities
(knitting, sewing, crochet, design, pattern drafting, etc) for which
alas there is no software. Not even a category in ports, or on
sourceforge. There's a lot of software available for them on other
platforms but AFAICS no *nix.

I've been tempted to resurrect an old win3.1 or MacOS box so my mother
has some "interesting" software to play with while she's here because
she's getting sick of solitaire and nothing else appeals, and I can
still get a few examples of what she wants for win3.1. Later Microsofts
would offer the complete range, but she doesnt' know that yet :-)

Nobody else seems to be missing these programs, especially programmers,
so it's unlikely that there will be a surge of them in the near future.
There's nothing wrong with people using the best available tool for the
job they want to do, even if the best isn't very good. For me BSD is the
best tool for the job of being a server and a desktop, but that's not
going to work out the same for everybody, especially people like my Mum.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-