Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 17:23:59 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@dannyland.org>
To:        lambert@cswnet.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Creating a shell server

On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 03:31:08PM -0500, lambert@cswnet.com wrote:

> I haven't seen any of my users actively using emacs but every college kid taking a *ix class winds up running it at least once.  I, personally, have never used it.  The emacs port wants XFree86 installed.  It is not currently installed on my new box due to the KISS protocol.  Do I want to add another 40MB of bloat just to enable a little used editor/environment that also fits into the bloatware category?  Is it safe to have X installed on a public access system?  Is emacs safe in these circumstances?

1) linewraps ...

2) rtfMakefile. :)

From /usr/ports/editors/emacs/Makefile:
.if !defined(NO_X11)
CONFIGURE_ARGS= --with-x-toolkit --sharedstatedir=/var/run
USE_XLIB=       yes
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS= --with-x=no --sharedstatedir=/var/run
.endif

So, set your NO_X11 environment variable then make install. :)

-d

--
dannyman - http://www.dannyland.org/~dannyman/