Date:      Mon, 14 May 2007 12:24:29 +0200
From:      Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Cc:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gnome-mount & glabel

Hi!

Some weeks back I was having some trouble with gnome-mount which I was
unable to figure out in detail. Last weekend I started to experience
some similar problems on another machine and I decided to take a
closer look.

What I was able to figure out is using glabel is causing gnome-mount
not being able to dismount mounted volumes and refusing to mount
unmounted volumes. The error while trying to mount is a null info
message and when trying to unmount a volume one gets a "mounted by
another UID" message.

When not using glabel (not kldload'ing glabel) gnome-mount works
properly. I haven't been able to investigate deeply so this is just a
BIG FAT WARNING not to use glabel with gnome as long as this problem
is not solved. Probably it's an hal problem and g-m is not at fault.

Both machines are recent RELENG_6 + Gnome 2.18.

Joe: When the Xorg upgrade has finished (I guess you're busy these
days - I'm also currently trying the upgrade path so I'm also unable
to investigate till the Xorg upgrade has done) can you point me to
some instructions on how we get deeper into this issue? Or are you
able to recreate the problem?

To recreate the symptoms, just `glabel load', start gnome (and
probably restart hal before) and try to mount / dismount volumes. Or
use geom_label_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf

Volker