Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2004 19:23:56 +0100
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        Lukman Jaji <myloveforyou@loveable.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: deploying java programs (applications)

Lukman Jaji wrote:

>hi,
>
> there is this problem i'm having.......it may not be a problem to u, my club members
>   is it possible to deploy java programs and turn them into an icon where all you have to do is double click the icon and the icon and the program executes. is it also possible to turn it into an icon of your own, not the java tea cup. is it possible to bind an sql database with a java front end and deploy it e.g installing an application you have designed on the system you of the owner, must sql be installed.......are these stupid questions?

Well, to me they seem not all to relevant to Java. Creating icons for
the desktop environment in question is pretty much the same for Java (or
a sh/bat file wrapping it) as  for any other program. As for bundling a
DB with the frontend, that obviously depends mostly on the DB you want
to use. HSQL (which is fully in Java) might be bundleable, the real
RDBMS (think Postgre or god forbid Oracle) aren't (especially the latter
is a real PITA to set up even for experienced admins).