Date:      Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:44:25 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        markmc@dataabstractsolutions.com, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: disable 64-bit dma for one PCI slot only?

On Jul 19, 2011, at 7:31 AM, John Baldwin wrote:
>>=20
>> If we're going to change it, might as well break it down into 4 =
fields.  Maybe
>> we retain the old format under a legacy switch and/or env variable =
for users
>> that have tools that parse the output (cough yahoo cough).
>=20
> The only reason it might be nice to stick with two fields is due to =
the line
> length (though the first line is over 80 cols even in the current =
format).  Here
> are two possible suggestions:
>=20

I like A for the explicitness, but B is a bit easier to read on an 80 =
column display.  There's no 'verbose' flag for pciconf, and the '-v' =
flag has already been claimed for another use; if a verbose flag were to =
appear, I'd suggest hiding the rev and hdr fields under it and otherwise =
shortening the line.  However, it's not my bikeshed to paint, and I'll =
be thrilled with either option A or B or anything in between.

> I went with vendor word first for both A) and B) as in my experience =
that is
> the more common ordering in driver tables, etc.
>=20

Indeed.  Thanks a lot for working on this.

Scott