Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 15:16:18 +0100
From:      Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@petra.hos.u-szeged.hu>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We're No. 1 :)

On Sat, Dec 18, 1999 at 07:25:34AM -0600, Chris Silva wrote:
> Hmmm - maybe we ought to do something about this?!
>
> http://www.dhbrown.com/dhbrown/OpSysScoreCard.cfm

As far as I can see they only rated products that are UNIX(r) systems.
(Yes, before you ask it also pertains to NT. According to the X/Open Group
techinically it also could receive the right to be a UNIX(r) if they applied
for it and its POSIX functionality were to be found adequate.
Now, that's funny. Check the X/Open Group website for details.)
This
seems to be rather a matter of principle which led them to overlook
everything else in the field. They also note that they were not interested
in market share, customer satisfaction or whatever, they only rank these
OS-es according to their techincal requirements.

Also they tout the 64-bit abilities and that is where we -due to the
huge user base on the x86 platform- are at a disadvantage, Alpha
notwithstanding.

Cheers:

Szilveszter ADAM