Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 20:53:55 +0000
From:      john gennard <joney@clara.co.uk>
To:        Janko van Roosmalen <acs.van.roosmalen@hccnet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First install of 4.2

On Friday 29 December 2000 10:53 pm, Janko van Roosmalen wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, john gennard wrote:
> > I have a problem with the FDisk Partition Editor's interpretation
> > of a 10.2 Gig Eide Hard Drive on a Desktop PC. There are 9
> > partitions (3 primary and 1 extended which has 5 logicals) and 1
> > Gig of  free space (to be used for a trial of FreeBSD4.2)
> > according to Linux's fdisk and cfdisk.
>
> In the partition table is only space for four entries. You have
> used them all on your disk. 3 entries for the primary partitions
> and 1 entry for the extended partition.
>
> In order to install FreeBSD you will need to free one of these
> entries by deleting a partition.
>
> > FreeBSD shows the primary partitions accurately - numbering them
> > ad0s1 to ad0s3 and describing them correctly as ext2fs. No
> > contents of the extended partition are identified - there is
> > merely a single partition of 5483Mb named ad0s4 described as
> > 'unknown', PType '1' and Sub Type '133' (the primaries are
> > '131'). Additionally, a small amount (7Mb) of free space is
> > identified which I don't understand since as it is almost
> > exclusively beyond the last sector of the drive (i.e. there are a
> > total of 20000925 sectors (1245 X 255 x 63) and the 7 Mb free is
> > supposedly 20000925 to 20015855 a total of 14931 sectors).
>
> Some possibilities:
>
> - merge two primary ext2fs partitions to one bigger one
>
> -  move contents of one primary ext2fs partition to an existing or
> additionally created logical partition to in the extended partition
>
> - buy a second hard disk and install on there.
>
> > I run Linux, mainly Debian 2.2, and although having little
> > experience of computers now can cope with drive partitioning and
> > installations within that genre reasonably comfortably. Here, I'm
> > 'out of my depth'. Can anyone help me out please. The literature
> > contained on the CD I have doesn't cover the use of the
> > 'Partition Editor' and a visit to 'www.freebsd.org' hasn't aided
> > me.

Thank you for your reply. From your response and that of Mike Meyer,
I now understand the position. At present it is not convenient for me
to re-configure this hard drive and although I have spare IDE
channels, there's no space in the box for an additional drive. I'll
give FreeBSD a try as soon as I can.              John.