Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:04:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      Eric Lee Green <eric@estinc.com>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why filemarks in sardpos?

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> LOGICAL block position is different- I would expect block #Z to be 26 more
> than block #A above- this shouldn't change. Again, assuming Z..A make it to
> tape (if they don't that's a catastrophic error).
>
> I notice you're using MTIOCRSPOS- I think I would tend agree that this
> wouldn't require a flush. Hardware position should probably stay where it is
> now.

And in fact at least one of the drives we must be compatible with (the
Tandberg SLR line) will happily burp all over the floor if you attempt to
use physical positioning. I assume that anybody else doing enterprise
backup would have the same problem, so the logical positioning case is
probably more common.

> p.s.: Not all drives, btw, have a horrible speed loss with the flush
> operation. DAT drives seem fine. DLTs are horribly affected.

I noticed the horrible speed loss with a Seagate DDS-3 DAT drive. We're
talking about going down to a max of 20K per second thruput when talking
about small files (those < 20K in size). Taking out the flush got us back
up to the full 1M/sec thruput of the DDS-3 DAT drive.

> [ yes, I'll ignore your barbarous manners. the content *is* important- not
> because BRU or ESTinc (ESTINK? New Unix errno?) is all that important- but the

Thanks :-). And yes, I agree that these products are not particularly
important for most current users of FreeBSD, who appear to be big users of
'dump' or afio. I do believe, however, that there is a potential market
for an easy-to-use network tape backup product for small businesses and
workgroups -- one that can be easily installed and configured by mere
mortals without having to have a high-level Unix system administrator on
staff. Obviously someone else agrees -- we have some venture capital for
that. I managed to sell the idea of FreeBSD as a tier 1 platform to my
management by using the spectre of backup appliances. Since my management
is extremely Linux-centric (as you'd expect, given that we're owned by a
Linux vendor), that was a pretty hard sale, but (shrug). What can I say,
sometimes I like to use a real OS rather than a hodge-podge of tossed
together software :-).

> problem *has* been seen before... And, oh, btw, NetBackup ended up owned by
> Veritas, not Legato, I believe ]

I'm getting confused now. Let's see, Veritas is the former Seagate
Software is the former software division of Archive Corporation?  Or is
that Legato? What do I know, I'm just an engineer :-).

--
Eric Lee Green                         eric@estinc.com
Software Engineer                      "The BRU Guys"