Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:22:35 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@mail.hiwaay.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, yurtesen@ispro.net.tr
Subject:   Re: HDD led stops working after FreeBSD...?

On Thu, Apr 01, 1999 at 06:41:38AM +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> Okay you guys, this is fascinating -- but why do you care about
> LEDs on your disks?  I haven't had a (visible) LED on a disk for
> at least ten years and have never wished I had.  Is there some
> reason for wanting them?

<shrug> I don't really know. Your question made me think though,
and the only reason I can come up with is, to quote Mallory, "because
it's there".

Every PC (with a HD) I've used has had a LED for the disk and if
you build your own the case always has one with a cable hanging
around and I just plug it in.

The only real use I had for them was when I had 2 HDs, Windows on
one and OS/2 on the other. Each OS had it's swap file on the other
HD (the idea being to speed up swapping as the heads never had to
move from the swap area) and the LEDs were useful for seeing how
much swapping was going on.

Interestingly we got one of the new SGI NT workstations at work
today <drool> and that *doesn't* have a HD LED, I know coz I looked
for it when we were trying to decide if IE4 had hung, it had :-)
 whilst loading a massive graphics demo program.