Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 12:56:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: config, other kernel build tools

> >Anyone else believe config should be in the /usr/src/sys somewhere
> >instead of /usr/src/usr.sbin?
>
> I think it should go away and we're taking steps to make that happen,
> so why force the move now?

Force?  No one is forcing anything...

I think the code should be in the right location so I can build a
-current kernel on a -stable machine without sacraficing my ability
to build a -stable kernel on the same -stable machine.

> >As it is, I have to clobber my existing config program to build a
> >kernel in an alternate source tree.
>
> ??  Doesn't that alternate source tree contain an "arch"/conf directory?
> The compile area is created relative to that directory.

My existing config *program*, not my existing *config*.

/usr/sbin/config is *not* created relative to that directory.

I *don't* want to toast my existing /usr/sbin/config; I like it, it
is my friend, it serves me well.

What I'd really like is an incremental step in Richard's planned
mega-makefile patch direction.  Putting the tools that are only good
for building kernels in with the kernel code that is to be built is
a good first step.

It's not like the boot code, etc. isn't already in the kernel tree
and isn't really kernel code proper.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---