Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2011 22:42:28 +1100
From:      Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com>
To:        Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
Cc:        Marek Salwerowicz <marek_sal@wp.pl>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Maciej Milewski <milu@dat.pl>
Subject:   Re: NFSv4 - how to set up at FreeBSD 8.1 ?

Hi

On 4 January 2011 10:50, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> If the above 2 lines are in your /etc/exports file and "/" is a ufs
> file system, then the above should work. For a zfs "/" you must either:
> - export / as well as /data
> or
> - use "v4: /data" so that the nfsv4 root is at /data
>
> Also, make sure you are running the experimental server:
> - either start both mountd and nfsd with the "-e" option or specify
> nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
> nfs_server_enable="YES"
>
> in your /etc/rc.conf.
>
> Also, you need to create an empty /var/db/nfs-stablerestart file before
> the experimental NFS server will start up the first time. (A fix for that
> is in the works, but isn't even in head yet.)
>
> Try looking at "man nfsv4" and checking that the daemons are running and
> that nothing got logged in /var/log/messages when they started up.
>
> Good luck with it, rick

After reading this thread, I tried NFSv4 today..

Whenever I tried to mount from a linux client, I get:
 mount -o vers=4 server4:/pool/backup/sites/m /mnt
NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
NFS compound failed for server server4: error 7 (RPC: Authentication error)
nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Permission denied

with NFS v3 it mounts just fine

any ideas?