Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:11:18 -0400
From:      doug schmidt <douglas.j.schmidt@gmail.com>
To:        Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
Cc:        Peter Steele <psteele@maxiscale.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Support for Dell PERC H700 RAID controller

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 03/26/10 09:00, Peter Steele wrote:
>>
>> Does FreeBSD 8 support the Dell H700 RAID controller? We've been using a
>> 3Ware controller but may need to switch to this controller. What we'd li=
ke
>> to have is a command line interface similar to the tw_cli command so we =
can
>> create RAID sets on a booted system instead of doing it in the BIOS.
>>

> I'm not sure about the H700, but for the PERC5 and PERC6 (previous
> models...) you can use mfiutil(8) to manage the adapter and
> create/configure/destroy RAID sets on FreeBSD 8. =A0 It's actually pretty=
 nice
> in comparison to MegaCLI - the LSI provided management utility.

mfiutil(8) has also been added to FreeBSD 7.3

>From 7.3 Release notes:

The mfi(4)  driver now supports LSI MegaRAID SAS 1078 and Dell PERC6.
[...]
A userland utility mfiutil(8)  for the mfi(4)  devices has been added.
This includes basic features to monitor controller, array, and drive
status, change basic attributes, create/delete arrays and spares, and
flush the controller firmware. Note that this is a small utility, not
a replacement of MegaCLI in the Ports Collection which is supported
officially and provides more functionality.