Date:      Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:12:01 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@elasticpath.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Soft-updates & du & df

In the last episode (Jul 13), Hilco Wijbenga said:
> I've taken over the administration of a FreeBSD box and now I've run
> into a problem that I could not solve by means of Google or the
> FreeBSD mailinglist archives. I am quite familiar with (Gentoo)
> GNU/Linux but a complete newbie when it comes to FreeBSD.
>
> While I was doing some work I got an error about a device being full.
> As it turned out /var was completely full. Not a big problem because
> there were a few very big log files that I could throw away. Problem
> solved? Apparently not because
>
> root@svn[var]# df -h /var
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad2s1d    248M    246M    -18M   108%    /var
>
> even though
>
> root@svn[var]# du -hs /var
>  43M    /var
>
> Shouldn't du and df roughly agree on the amount that's used/available?

You probably have some deleted logfiles that are still held open by
processes.  Run "lsof +L1 -a /var" to list the files and the processes
(you may need to install lsof from ports).  Kill and restart the
offending processes and your freespace should go back to normal.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com