Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:57:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        chris/reman <z2172268@student.unsw.edu.au>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM detection problems

On Tuesday, 23 February 1999 at 16:28:49 +1100, chris/reman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have sent this to hackers and questions just in case.

Please don't.  Read the charters and
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html.  You should only have sent this
message to -questions.

> I have one hard drive which is master first controller, I have a pioneer
> A04s 32x cdrom as a slave on the secondary controller.
>
> I insert FreeBSD 2.2.6 CDROM, ATAPI boot works and sysinstall is started
> from the CDROM.  Go straight into probe.  wd0 is detected along with the
> hard drive.  however when we get to wd1 it is not detected at all.  I
> have tried setting flags, rebooting from dos etc etc.  It detects under
> linux and win95.
>
> Abit BH6
> celeron 333a
> 128mb ram
> ibm deskstar hdd
> CL banshee
> NE2000 PCI network card
> AWE64
>
> I have searched the PR's and the mailing list search is not available.
> Is this just related to the BH6? do I need to upgrade to >2.2.6. The
> cdrom has worked fine on my old TX motherboard and under 2.2.6 and 2.2.7

I would strongly suggest trying 3.1.  You don't need to install it:
if you download the boot floppies and try to boot, you should be able
to see whether it finds the CD-ROM drive.  If not, you should enter a
bug report with all details, in particular the chip set of your mother
board and the exact description of your CD-ROM.

Greg