Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:51:19 -0500
From:      "Larry Baird" <lab@gta.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHA2940U2W and 2.2.8

Kenneth D. Merry (ken@plutotech.com) wrote:
: Larry Baird wrote...
: > Well it looks like I made an ordering mistake.  I have several systems that
: > I had planned to run 2.2.8 along with Adaptec AHA2940U2W controllers and
: > the corresponding ultra2 hard disks.  I now realize that only 3.0 supports
this
: > controller using CAM.
: >
: > There used to be a backport of CAM to 2.2 in
: > ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam.  This seems to have been moved
: > to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/cam.  But the 2.2 cam
: > boot.flp still expects to find the installation files in the old place.
: >
: > Does anybody have a work around?

: You should be able to specify the full URL for the location of the
: distribution.  (nope, I don't know the exact sysinstall screen where you'd
: type that in, it's been a while since I've done an install like that)
Thanks for the clue.  Here are the steps I did to get everything to work.

1) Get
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/cam/2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP/floppies/boot.flp

2) Make a bootable floppy from above image and boot it.

3) Select kernel developer for distribution to install.

4) When specifing the media, select FTP and the URL.
  Specify a URL of ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/cam

5) After install,
    cd /usr/src/sys and build a new kernel and install it

6) Save old cam tree
    mv /usr/src/sys /usr/src/sys.cam.save

7) Use 2.2.8 CD to install all sources

8) Use cvsup to bring everything up todate.

9) Follow directions from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/development/cam/README
on how to apply the 2.2 cam patches.