Date:      Sun, 5 Aug 2001 16:04:47 +0100
From:      Jose Gabriel J Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: ACPI changes

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:07:26AM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
>  - Changed the way ACPI timers are treated to be more pessimistic.  It
>    looks like we can't assume that the average ACPI timer is properly
>    implemented.  This is a pain; a "good" timer takes about 350 cycles to
>    read on my PIII/500 laptop, wheras the "safe" read takes about 1050
>
>    To test your ACPI timer, first check to see which one you have.  Look
>    at the output of 'pciconf -lv'.  If you have an Intel chipset, chances

Hi Mike,

First let me thank all the ACPI developers for their excellent
work, ACPI is working just fine Thermal/CPU and battery wise in my Asus
M8300 notebook.

Reviewing your last commit on the timer problem, I was a bit suprised
to see so little chipsets defined as "good" (just PCI ID
0x71138086, rev > 0x03) and I wondered if the Intel 440MX chipset
(82443MX Power Management Controller) in my notebook wasn't also
"good".

I tried the timer_test at boot for about 15mins both with and without
AC power, no warnings. Then I changed the cipset probe code to
detect my device and it's been working without problems.

I've attached my pciconf -lv output, there's also my verbose
boot dmesg at http://devils.maquina.com/~gabriel/dmesg.acpi

Another thing I've been wondering is why can't I suspend my
machine to disk with ACPI or how do I do it.

Usually with APM enabled I just press The Fn+F1 key combination
to initiate suspend to disk, but this same key sequence doesn't
do a thing when under ACPI. Is this supposed to work yet?

I've also put my DSDT and ASL files at
http://devils.maquina.com/~gabriel/m8300.dsdt and
http://devils.maquina.com/~gabriel/m8300.asl

Thanks again,

Gabriel

--mYCpIKhGyMATD0i+

hostb0@pci0:0:0:	class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71948086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82443MX I/O Controller?'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = HOST-PCI
pcm0@pci0:0:1:	class=0x040100 card=0x10631043 chip=0x71958086 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82443MX? AC97 Audio Controller'
    class    = multimedia
    subclass = audio
none0@pci0:0:2:	class=0x000000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00000000 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    class    = old
    subclass = non-VGA display device
none1@pci0:2:0:	class=0x030000 card=0x13321043 chip=0x0720126f rev=0xb1 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Silicon Motion'
    device   = 'SM720 Lynx3DM'
    class    = display
    subclass = VGA
isab0@pci0:7:0:	class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71988086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82443MX PCI to ISA Bridge'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-ISA
atapci0@pci0:7:1:	class=0x010180 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71998086 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82443MX EIDE Controller'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = ATA
uhci0@pci0:7:2:	class=0x0c0300 card=0x00000000 chip=0x719a8086 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82443MX USB Universal Host Controller'
    class    = serial bus
    subclass = USB
none2@pci0:7:3:	class=0x068000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x719b8086 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82443MX Power Management Controller'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-unknown
pcib1@pci0:9:0:	class=0x060400 card=0x00000080 chip=0x01001668 rev=0x11 hdr=0x01
    vendor   = 'Action Tec Electronics Inc'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-PCI
pcic0@pci0:10:0:	class=0x060700 card=0x00000000 chip=0x04751180 rev=0x80 hdr=0x02
    vendor   = 'Ricoh Co Ltd'
    device   = 'RL5C475 CardBus controller'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-CardBus
fxp0@pci1:4:0:	class=0x020000 card=0x10001668 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'Intel Corporation'
    device   = '82557/8/9 Fast Ethernet LAN Controller'
    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet
none3@pci1:8:0:	class=0x078000 card=0x24001668 chip=0x044811c1 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'AT&T Microelectronics'