Date:      Mon, 17 May 2010 13:03:42 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
Cc:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>, stable-list freebsd <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: if_wpi is all kinds of broken

> Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 21:26:42 +0200
> From: Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> Hi,
>
> On 17 May 2010 17:05, Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 May 2010, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> >>[...]
>
> > The ipw card in my T42 is the older mini-PCI (no "e").
>
> Yes, and replacing this card is a problem, because the wireless card
> in many IBM Thinkpad Laptops have a custom firmware, and the cards ID
> is listed in the laptops BIOS. It won't work with any card not listed
> there. There are ways to either flash the cards firmware or the BIOS
> list, but I don't think that it's worth it.

Assuming the the Atheros you are installing is one that IBM/Lenovo used,
it will work fine. The 5212 in the mini-PCI format was sold by IBM for
the t-40, T-42, and T-43 laptops and works fine. Other cards will
probably not work in the T-42.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)