Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 97 17:16:31 PST
From:      johnson@charming.nrtc.northrop.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem with make release.8 in /usr/src/release

Hello FreeBSD gurus,

  I am trying to make a release boot floppy.  I go into /usr/src/release,
and do make release.1, etc. in turn.  (I wanted to see what was happening
at each step.)

  I encounter the following problem during release.8:

the Makefile executes the following line:

        disklabel -w -r -B
                -b ${RD}/trees/bin/usr/mdec/fdboot
                -s ${RD}/trees/bin/usr/mdec/bootfd
                /dev/r${VNDEVICE} minimum

and I get the following error message from the above command:

ioctl DIOCWLABEL: Operation not supported by device

Any ideas or suggestions as to why I am getting that error message?

I am running a kernel that has the `vn' option, and most of the rest of
the release.8 phase works.  What are the consequences of the above error?

As a work-around, could I dd the fs-image to a floppy, and then run the
above command, but with the floppy device, so that the label on the
floppy gets modified?

Another question:  When during the release building process does a kernel
get put onto the file system contained in the boot floppy?  I am ending
up with a fs-image file that has a file system in it, complete with sh, gzip,
lots of devices in /dev, etc., but no kernel.  Perhaps this is related to
the above ioctl problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Greg Johnson