Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 1995 21:20:35 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org, core@FreeBSD.org, security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Call for remove setr[ug]id() and setre[ug]id() from libc

In message <OH5bMbl8U5@astral.msk.su> Andrey A. Chernov writes:

>I vote for removing this fuctions completely from library
>sources, it is only one safe variant, if we can't implement
>them in 100%.

More info:
osetreuid/osetregid syscalls check arguments in the same
way that lib function does, and they are only a little bit safe,
because testing of s[rg]id independs of place calling.

They both can't be implemented, they are violation of POSIX,
so I prefer to remove them to not make security hole.
If none object, I'll commit the change.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -