Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2014 11:29:15 -0800
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Todor Todorov <todorov@paladin.bulgarpress.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-java@freebsd.org" <freebsd-java@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: JDK performance FreeBSD / Linux

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 11:15 AM, Todor Todorov
<todorov@paladin.bulgarpress.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have to migrate an old machine (FreeBSD 8.3 + OpenJDK 6 + Tomcat 5.5)
> to a new hardware and respectively looking for answers
>
> One of the options is to use FBSD 10 the other one is 'some Linux'. In
> the past there were penalties for using FBSD + Java, not sure what is
> the situation now. The hardware will be 2x processors E5, 64GB RAM -
> running multi user Java app on Tomcat 7.
>
> I have to defend the decision to use FBSD but need to have something in
> my pockets.

In my efforts to set up Jenkins in the FreeBSD cluster, I found two
problems with
Java on FreeBSD.

See:  https://wiki.freebsd.org/Jenkins

(1)  Item #10, issue with JDK on FreeBSD 10 (workaround available)

(2)   Item #23 issue with JDK on FreeBSD 9.2 (fix available in FreeBSD 9.2-p3)

My advice to you is to see if you can propose going with FreeBSD 9.2-p3,
until Item #10 is fixed.

I hate to say it, but it doesn't really look good for defending your
continued use of FreeBSD for a Java app. :(
--
Craig