Date:      Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:12:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem question...

Ronald G. Minnich wrote in list.freebsd-hackers:
 > On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Kris Kennaway wrote:
 > > On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
 > > > Are you saying that as an ordinary user I can mount something on top of
 > > > /tmp, for example?
 > > If the vfs.usermount sysctl is 1, and you have appropriate access to the
 > > thing you're trying to mount (block device, etc).
 >
 > OK, so let's say it is 1. Let's say I have "appropriate access" to /tmp. I
 > mount my own fs on /tmp. I now have read/write access to everything anyone
 > writes to /tmp.

Not possible.  You have to _own_ the mount point (which is
usually not the case for /tmp).

 > Or, let's say I don't have "appropriate access" to /tmp. Pick some other
 > place. I mount my file system there for my files. Now everyone who wants
 > can look for these user mounts and walk them at will. My private stuff is
 > quite public.

You own it, so you can set the permission appropriately,
so nobody else can access it if you don't want that.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)