Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:33:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        David Leimbach <leimy2k@mac.com>
Cc:        Christopher Fowler <cfowler@outpostsentinel.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP over IEEE1394?

David Leimbach writes:
 > True... I guess I didn't state my case clearly enough that I think IP
 > over firewire
 > is in itself a good thing for clusters.

From my experience with the Apple IP over Firewire, it seems slow, and
very high overhead.  A dual 800MHz G4 host which can transmit at well
over 1 Gb/sec (using ethernet-over-Myrinet) maxes its CPU out at
200Mb/sec, or less with IP over Firewire. (I'd report GigE numbers,
but I don't have a GigE switch or a decent enough cable to get a
host-host link at 1Gb/s).

Its possible that the Apple code just sucked, I don't know.  It used a
1500 byte mtu, for example.  I'd have thought you'd be able to have
much large mtus w/firewire.

If the Apple code is typical, then I think that unless you've got some
sort of alternate zero-copy protocol running over raw firewire, you'd
be better off running GigE, or even multiple 100Mb links.

Drew