Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 21:26:14 +0200
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP with VIA chipset system lockups

Yes I just did the APM thing and everything seems to be working fine
APM can be nice when starting a server with WOL and shutting down previously
the other one with APM among other things

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 17:22:07 +0200 (CEST)
"Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Christophe Prevotaux wrote:
>
> :>On Wed, 3 Apr 2002 21:50:55 +0000
> :>Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net> wrote:
> :>
> :>> On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 04:04:21PM +0200, Administrator IPA wrote:
> :>> > On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, mikea wrote:
> :>> >
> :>> > > On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 06:45:49PM +0100, Christophe Prévotaux wrote:
> :>> > > > I have a similar problem with a ASUS CUV4X-DLS
> :>> > > > Dual CPU motherboard it is using VIA CHIPSET
> :>> > > > as well and I have lockups , the system
> :>> > > > freezes but I am still able to ping the machine
> :>> > > > this is very strange , however nothing else works
> :>> > > >
> :>> > > > I have no problems running these machine in single
> :>> > > > CPU mode but when I run SMP it does have freezing
> :>> > > > problems
> :>
> :>> >
> :>> > Hello out there.
> :>> >
> :>> > We have several SMP machines around here, one is a ASUS CUV4X-D based
> :>> > system. This machine never have had any lockups as you described.
> :>> >
> :>> > Another system, a TYAN Thunder 2500/Slot 1 system with ServerWorks ServerSet III/HE
> :>> > chipset had today its 'spontanous' reboot.
> :>> >
> :>> > With TYAN's mainboard I had a lot of trouble and it seems not to be only a issue of the
> :>> > chipset itself!
> :>> > TYAN Thunder and ASUS CUV4X-D have problems with IRQs, I guess, especially when using more
> :>> > than one Intel EtherExpress (fxp) NIC.
> :>
> :>
> :>Well I do have problems with the ASUS CUV4X-D and I am using the integrated
> :>fxp ethernet interface , one DG500SX DLINK Gigabit Ethernet board and a PCA200E-SMF
> :>ATM card in the same machine. Under Linux they worked absolutely flawlessly
> :>
> :>I am using
> :>
> :># To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
> :>options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> :>options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
> :>
> :># The `hfa' driver provides support for the FORE Systems, Inc.
> :># PCA-200E ATM PCI Adapter.
> :>#
> :>options         ATM_CORE                #core ATM protocol family
> :>options         ATM_IP                  #IP over ATM support
> :>options         ATM_SIGPVC              #SIGPVC signalling manager
> :>options         ATM_SPANS               #SPANS signalling manager
> :>options         ATM_UNI                 #UNI signalling manager
> :>#
> :>
> :>
> [...]

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center