Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 08:34:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Spidey <spidey@libdns.qc.ca>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Problems making world after an interruption

Here you go:

root@freed [08:30am] spidey# /usr/bin/chflags -R noschg /usr/obj
root@freed [08:31am] spidey# rm -rf /usr/obj
root@freed [08:31am] spidey# cd /usr/src
root@freed [08:32am] src# make buildworld

>>> Cleaning up the temporary elf build tree
mkdir -p /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp
chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/
rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/tmp

>>> Making make
[...]
cc -O -pipe -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make   -I/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/include
-static -o make arch.o buf.o compat.o cond.o dir.o for.o hash.o job.o
main.o make.o parse.o str.o suff.o targ.o var.o util.o lstAppend.o
lstAtEnd.o lstAtFront.o lstClose.o lstConcat.o lstDatum.o lstDeQueue.o
lstDestroy.o lstDupl.o lstEnQueue.o lstFind.o lstFindFrom.o lstFirst.o
lstForEach.o lstForEachFrom.o lstInit.o lstInsert.o lstIsAtEnd.o
lstIsEmpty.o lstLast.o lstMember.o lstNext.o lstOpen.o lstRemove.o
lstReplace.o lstSucc.o
/usr/bin/ld: could not exec elf/ld in
/usr/obj/usr/src/tmp/usr/libexec:/usr/libexec: No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
root@freed [08:32am] src#

AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! I can't upgrade my system anymore!!! What's that bug?!

On 10 Mar 1999, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> spidey@libdns.qc.ca (Spidey) writes:
>
> > Thinking of it..
> >
> > I don't understand why or how an interrupted make buildworld would scrap
> > things that much.
> >
> > How can this problem persist through make clean's and rm -rf /usr/obj, and
> > how can I solve it if it does?!?!?
>
> Try doing a
> /usr/bin/chflags -R noschg /usr/obj
> before doing your
> rm -rf /usr/obj
> since otherwise the rm won't remove system-immutable files...

When a man lies he murders some part of the world
These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives
All this I can witness any longer
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home