Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 15:31:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100baseT through etherswitch ...

I'm not sure of the answer, but a tool to show
you throughput is only as far as ports (actually it
may be in packages). Nettest, it's some old code from
Cray, but it still works great. I ported it to FreeBSD
(wasn't hard). I also ported it to NT (with GNU installed),
that was a little harder. :-)

Basically, you run the daemon on one machine (nettestd) and
the client on the other (nettest remote-host).

Cool stuff.

In a previous message, The Hermit Hacker said:

> Morning all...
>
> 	I have a computer connected to an etherswitch at work,
> 100baseT...doing an FTP of a 300Meg file to another computer on the same
> etherswitch, also doing 100baseT, how many MB/s should I expect to see
> *max*?  Oh, both hosts and the etherswitch are running  half-duplex...
>
> Thanks...
>
> Marc G. Fournier                   ICQ#7615664               IRC Nick: Scrappy
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary: scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

"But what ... is it good for?" --Engineer at the Advanced Computing Systems
Division of IBM, 1968, commenting on the microchip.