Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 21:51:47 +0100
From:      Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>, Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 09:02:55PM -0500, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > You sure it was Greg?
>
> Well, I believe it :-)  I'm sure we're not the only two who use mutt
> and Emacs.

Ok, sorry.

> > (load-library "gnuserv")
> > (gnuserv-start nil)
>
> OK, what does this buy you?  It's relatively easy to tell Emacs to
> edit something from outside, but how do you get mutt to wait until
> you've finished editing the message, and how to you tell mutt when you
> have finished?

The gnuclient or emacsclient (for fsfmacs) programs will block until
you finish the buffer with 'Ctrl-X #'. So, with xemacs and my $EDITOR set
to gnuclient, mutt will invoke 'gnuclient <file>'. That will pop up
a new window (in xemacs, i'm not sure about this for fsfmacs any more :-).
When I'm finished I'll hit 'Ctrl-X #', the window will go away and mutt
will resume the same as if it had e.g. invoked vi. See the documentation
for gnu/emacsclient for more information. Gnuclient can even create windows
on displays different from where the original emacs runs.

--
\|/
-O- Michael Elbel, ConSol* GmbH, - me@consol.de - 089 / 45841-256