Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:03:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Eric Patterson <ericp@ro.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cam and ASUS P2B-S

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Doug White wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Eric Patterson wrote:
>
> > I have gotten FreeBSD installed on this machine.  Everything works fine
> > until I attach an external SCSI device to the on board AIC 7890.  When I
> > do this, It begins to boot fine, but then just before it completes the
> > boot, I get the following error.
> >
> > panic: ahc0: brkadrint, Data-path Parity Error at seqaddr = 0x17e
>
> The 7890 shouldn't be supported yet ... you need the CAM patches.  Odd
> that it would detect it okay though ...

Oops.  I didn't make that clear in my original message.  I was using a
CAMified boot floppy.

I have made every effort to ensure that the termination is
set properly.  I am only using two ports on the controller, i.e. one 68
pin internal and the external port.  Could this be a problem with the CAM
drivers?  Or is this classic operator error?  Probably the latter, but as
best I can tell, and I am no expert, it seems to be a problem with CAM.
If so, I'd be happy to provide more details if it would be helpful to
the CAM folks.  Has anyone else had similar problems?

I have installed the Adaptec 2940UW on the same machine with the same
external and internal SCSI devices and everything works great.  It's not
urgent, but the curious side of me wants to get the 7890 working anyway.

Later,
Eric Patterson