Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2001 04:15:59 -0800
From:      "David Schultz" <vvortex1@home.com>
To:        "Steve" <vandena@ispchannel.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh inop

> Running FBSD 4.2-RELEASE with ipfw and natd.  Installed ssh without any
> problems.  Tried to access my FBSD machine from any system on either side
> of the firewall and was unable to connect...timeout error.  I specified my
> IP address on each side of the firewall in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  Still
> unable to log in via ssh (timeout error).  Looked in /var/log/messages and
> found the following error:
>
> sshd[260]: error: Bind to port 22 on :: failed: Address already in use.
> sshd[260]: error: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0 failed: Address already in
> use.
> sshd[260]: fatal: Cannot bind all addresses.

It somehow seems wrong that sshd would be trying to listen on 0.0.0.0. I
suspect that (a) you specified an invalid ListenAddress in sshd_config or
(b) you uncommented the "#ListenAddress 0.0.0.0" and "#ListenAddress ::"
examples in the file without actually changing the addresses. (The latter is
just a null IPv6 address.) It's usually best to leave it on the default
setting (i.e. comment out ListenAddress), which is to listen on all local
interfaces. OpenSSH has created a very secure daemon, and I doubt there is
any justifiable security concern to warrant blocking logins from certain
interfaces.

If you've still got trouble, see if "ps -ax |grep sshd" turns up anything.
If so, try to connect to the box locally. You could also try disabling the
firewall temporarily, but I doubt that it is to blame. Just make sure you
actually are loading a ruleset--- unless you changed it in the kernel
configuration, the default is to deny everything.