Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:20:44 -0600
From:      "Guy Helmer" <ghelmer@palisadesys.com>
To:        "'BOUWSMA Beery'" <freebsd-user@netscum.dyndns.dk>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: nullfs and unionfs

On Wednesday, December 19, 2001 7:09 PM BOUWSMA Beery wrote:

> Is it safe (relatively speaking) to use the null and the union
> filesystems?  The LINT kernel config file still includes dire
> warnings, as do the man pages, but so far I've successfully
> mounted a handful of filesystems without panicking my system,
> though I've been careful to do it read-only when possible
> I do this by keeping the actual source read-write for cvsup
> in /usr/local/system, which I then mount_null read-only on
> /usr/src.  (Likewise ports and stuff)
>
> Over top of this nullfs /usr/src I mount read-write my own
> directory which gets my changes in /usr/local/source-hacks.

It looks like there are still some serious problems with this.  I just
tried a similar thing on FreeBSD 4.4 and 4.5.  I created a directory of
binaries to use for multiple jails, then null-mounted (read-only) the
binaries for each of the jails to use.  To allow the /etc and other
parts of the jails to be written, I union-mounted a per-jail writeable
filesystem over each of the null mounts.  It seemed to work well until
my jail setup program actually started a binary from inside the jail
(i.e., from the null mount) when the kernel panic'ed with trap 12.

Guy Helmer
Palisade Systems, Inc.