Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 17:05:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: winbond w83782d (was Re: CPU Temperature and MRTG)

On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, Thomas D. Dean wrote:

>lm-sensors has information on this chip.

Yes, thank you.  I've just been reading through the bug database at
lm-sensors.nu on a recommendation from a fellow Tyan Tiger MPX owner.  I
now have healthd installed but am only able to grab the voltages from
the hardware, not the CPU temp or fan speeds.  This is evidently related
to the fact that there are actually two Winbond hardware monitoring
chips onboard and the functions are divided between them.  According to
the linux guys in order to initialize the second monitoring chip on boot
you must either go into a BIOS hardware monitoring menu or temporarily
boot Windows and launch the included monitoring software.  The Tiger MPX
BIOS does not currently contain a hardware monitoring menu because the
original revision of the board only had a 2MB BIOS ROM.  The newer
revision I have has a 4MB BIOS ROM on it so I hope that I will be able
to obtain a BIOS from Tyan which includes this functionality.  I would
very much like to verify this theory.  I would also like to see if I can
figure out a workaround to initialize this chipset without requiring a
trip to the BIOS or Windows.  Hopefully the Linux lm_sensors folks can
help me make sense of it.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
http://www.geekpunk.net                         bandix@geekpunk.net