Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 08:37:47 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        "Oliver Blasnik" <ob@omnilink.net>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Again: CRD-Raid-Controller and FreeBSD 3.x

In article <00e001bf44a2$ecea6c00$c20effd4@jav.net> you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I do have several FreeBSD-Systems (3.1, 3.3) connected to external
> CRD-5440-Raid-Controllers and encountered massive Problems on one (new)
> machine this weekend :(
>
> All are working with on-board Adaptec 7890-Controllers, set up to UW 40 MHz,
> which is in specification to that 5440. Connection is done via Granite-Cables
> and Terminators, the Raid is the only device, I do NOT have any termination-
> or cabling-Problems on any of that 3 machines. Firmware of the 5440s is 1.9.

Your error messages don't indicate a cabling problem, but they do
seem to indicate a firmware bug in the CRD.

> As a work-around the only thing was to disable tagged-queuing on all systems
> (added that devices to cam_xpt.c and build a new kernel). None of these
> messages occured anymore.
>
> Anyone experienced something like this? How could I expand the timeout for
> tagged-queuing? Is there any workaround to use tagq (scsi is now extremely
> slow in comparision to yesterday...)?

The timeout should be 60 seconds.  That is a veritable eternity for
a disk, especially since we do issue ordered tagged commads from
time to time to ensure that no tag starvation occurs on the device.
One thing you could try doing is limiting the number of tags we
attempt to use.  Take a look at the quirk entries for the Quantum
Atlas drives in cam_xpt.c for details.

Did you try contacting CRD's technical support?

--
Justin