Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 19:21:32 +0100
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>, walton@nordicdms.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: chio

On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 11:09:32AM -0400, Chris Shenton wrote:
> "Dave Walton" <walton@nordicdms.com> writes:
>
> > Has anyone actually used the /dev/ch device and chio utility?
> > With what hardware?
> >
> > I was just looking at the Plextor MegaPlex 200-disk CD changer,
> > and I'd hate to think I might be wandering into completely
> > uncharted territory...
>
> I've used it with an Archive Python 4-tape DDS2 juke. Some of the
> commands don't appear to work (like getting status), but it works
> enough for my backup purposes.

We've used it with a Quantum DLT-4700 7 tape machine and it works a
dream.  We use amanda as a tape backup system and it's great.

Gotcha though... the ch device ioctl structure has changed with the
CAM updates and Amanda's scsi-chio code now doesn't work.  We're
working on a fix for this as I write though.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser
Technical Manager	FreeBSD: The power to serve (http://www.uk.freebsd.org)