Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 15:49:29 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: POP3 and WU-FTPD

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 at 15:32:18 -0700, Linh Pham wrote:
> I currently have the latest copy of qpopper running on my new server
> (which is running FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE and Sendmail 8.10.2) as the pop3
> daemon.
>
> I have also looked at the University of Washington's IMAP/POP2/POP3
> server and I was wondering which one is more stable and more scalable?

It depends -- mainly on which version of each you're using.  Older
versions of qpopper have root holes, as do UW's IMAP daemon.  I haven't
heard of any problems with UW's ipop3d though (then again, I don't use
it so I haven't really been looking).  If you go the UW route and don't
need IMAP, it'd be a wise decision to not enable it and just use the pop
daemon.

> And finally, is there any links on how to install and setup/configure
> WU-FTPD?

cd /usr/ports/ftp/wu-ftpd && make install distclean

For info on configuring it, see http://www.wuftpd.org/, and the port's
pkg/DESCR file.

- jim

> /*	"Oregon, n.:
> 		Eighty billion gallons of water
> 		with no place to go on
> 		Saturday night."
> */

Unless it's the 4th of July and Blues Fest is going on ;-)

- jim

--
/* jim mock - berkeley software design, inc - open source division */
/* documentation manager - jim@FreeBSD.org - jim@luna.osd.bsdi.com */