Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 08:27:53 -0400
From:      Rob Ellis <rob@web.ca>
To:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't Login to pop3 or ftp but ports are there!!!

port 3306 is mysql.

pop3 and ftp are often run by inetd, maybe your imap server
is stand-alone. so, for pop/ftp, check that inetd is running:

   ps -p `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`

should look something like:

	 PID  TT  STAT      TIME COMMAND
	 95499  ??  Is     0:00.79 inetd -wW

if inetd isn't running, you should check that 'inetd_enable="YES"'
is set in your /etc/rc.conf, and reboot. or run

   /usr/sbin/inetd -wW

by hand (as root). if that doesn't start ftp, check that ftp
isn't commented out in /etc/inetd.conf.

apache not starting is probably a configuration problem. try
'apachectl configtest', which might tell you what's wrong,
and/or look in the apache error log.

- rob