Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:51:20 -0800
From:      Will Prater <lists-wp@mercurycloud.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: daemon monitoring

On Nov 24, 2003, at 2:59 PM, Jesse Guardiani wrote:

>>> I'm particularly fond of daemontools/supervise, actually. You've got
>>> jump through some hoops to get it working (process must run in
>>> foreground,
>>> process must start first time, etc..), but it's very reliable and the
>>> qmail style qmailctl script can be adapted to any configuration with
>>> minimal
>>> work to make an excellent control script.
>>
>> Yes, it looks promising. I have it working for a few of my processes.
>> was looking to something similar to Mac OS X Servers watchdog. This is
>> much better.
>>
>> I get weird errors when I am trying to get saslauthd since I have to
>> use fghack to get it going.
>>
>> Can you send me the qmailctl script or some examples that you have
>> with
>> some daemons on your system?

Do you have weirdness when working with daemons that run themselves in
the backgroud? One has to use fghack to place them in the foreground
and then there is no control to stop the service through daemontools.
For example saslatuhd..

Also does one only need to create a log directory if the application
itself does not log? Or is this to log other information, I cant seem
to find an answer to this on DJB site.

Thanks

--will