Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 2003 08:11:39 +0100
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@mullet.se>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is booting/installing from USB CDROM considered supported?

Martin Nilsson wrote:

> I tried to install our CD/FDD-less servers from a CD-RW drive connected=
=20
> on the USB port,=20
> I'll try with a fresh 5.2-BETA later today and see what happens with it=
=2E=20
> in the meantime I just want to ask:

The 5.2-BETA CDROM hangs, it prints something like found /BOOT/LOADER=20
=2E.. and then nothing else happens.

Does anyone know what might be the problem and where one should look to=20
try to fix it?

The motherboard is a Supermicro P4SGE with an external 52x Asus CD-RW=20
unit. I have tried with and without USB FDD, no differnce. WinXP=20
installs as as usual (but very slowly) on this combination.

--=20
Martin Nilsson, CTO & Founder, Mullet Scandinavia AB, Malm=F6, SWEDEN
E-mail: martin@mullet.se, Phone: +46-(0)708-606170, Web: www.mullet.se

Our business is well engineered servers optimised for FreeBSD & Linux